READING GROUP GUIDE
Sample questions from the reading group guide for Commencement
1. What are your thoughts on single-sex education?
2. Do you think Commencement
presents an accurate description of a women's college?
3. In the novel the character Sally becomes involved with a professor. Do you think student/teacher relationships are more common at women's colleges? Or is that an out-dated myth?
4. This book has a strong feminist message. What do you take away from this?
protagonists graduate from Smith in 2002. Gloria Steinem compares Commencement
to Mary McCarthy's The Group, which depicts a group of eight young women who graduate from Vassar in 1933. And Gloria Steinem, herself, graduated from Smith College in 1956. How do you think these three generations of experiences at women's colleges differ and how do they remain the same?
6. Each character thought they had a very clear notion of who they were when entering college. How did each grow and change during their time there and what impact did their unique friendships have on each other?
for the complete reading group guide.
Visit the Reading Group Center
for a list of all of our reading group guides.