Margaret Atwood Trivia for Your Book Club
It feels a little wrong to say we’re excited to head back to Gilead, but we are. The Testaments, Margaret Atwood’s companion to her eerily prescient cultural phenomenon The Handmaid’s Tale, has finally arrived in paperback, and we know you’re planning to read and discuss with your book club. We want to make sure it’s the best meeting you’ve ever had, so we’ve compiled some trivia to get your meeting started off right! Answers are at the bottom, but beware! These questions will make you want to pick up another Margaret Atwood book right away!
- 1. Margaret Atwood’s Hag-Seed is a retelling of which Shakespearean play?
- 2. What is the title of Margaret Atwood’s first published novel?
- 3. In which year was The Handmaid’s Tale published?
- 4. What is Margaret Atwood’s favorite food?
- 5. Margaret Atwood helped create a device that would allow an author to remotely sign, in ink, a reader’s book from halfway across the world. What is the name of the device?
- 6. What is the translation of Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum used in The Handmaid’s Tale?
- 7. In 2013, Margaret Atwood toasted with her friend and fellow Canadian who had just won the Nobel Prize in Literature. Who was it?
- 8. Alias Grace tells a fictionalized account of which convicted murderess?
- 9. Which Margaret Atwood novel begins with the line, “Ten days after the war ended, my sister Laura drove a car off a bridge.”?
- 10. In 2014, Margaret Atwood wrote a story to be included in an anthology that will not be published until 2114. The anthology will be published on paper from the 1,000 trees planted especially for this purpose. What is the name of this project?
- 11. Which novel did Margaret Atwood publish after The Handmaid’s Tale?
- 12. The Penelopiad is a retelling of which myth?
- 13. Margaret Atwood wrote a trilogy of books chronicling the dystopian world of Zeb, Crake, and the Snowman. What is the palindromic name of this series?
- 14. When Margaret Atwood made a cameo in “The Handmaid’s Tale” Hulu series, what was her role?
- 15. Which of Margaret Atwood’s novels have already been adapted for TV or film?
Click here to view the answers, or download the printable PDF.