Be sure to visit Lisa on Tumblr!
From the author of The Official Preppy Handbook comes a new take on the old world that Lisa Birnbach turned into an international best-selling phenomenon thirty years ago. True Prep looks at how the old guard of natural-fiber-loving, dog-worshipping, G&T-soaked preppies adapts to the new order of the Internet, cell phones, rehab, political correctness, reality TV and…polar fleece. A small sample:
• Wardrobe: Recent prep brands we are forced to recognize. How to tell Casual Friday from, say, Saturday.
• Money: We never talk about it.
• Food: Does the Food Network mean we’re going to have to cook? Bake? Now you’re going too far.
• Scandals: Poor Mrs. Astor. When Mummy’s plastic surgery goes terribly wrong. Rehab and the slammer: the new prep schools.
• We’re outta here: When to name something after yourself, and when not. The right obituary.
• What to do with your dogs if you predecease them.
• NO TEXTING AT THE TABLE, PLEASE.
True Prep promises to be a whole new old sensation.
1. “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay (Chris Martin: Sherborne School, University College, London)
2. “All That’s Known” from Spring Awakening by Duncan Sheik (Andover, Brown)
3. “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” by Mary Chapin Carpenter (Taft, Brown)
4. “Long Time Gone” by David Van Cortlandt Crosby (Cate School)
5. “What Can I Say?” by Boz (William Royce) Scaggs (St. Mark’s School of Texas, University of Wisconsin)
6. “I Want a New Drug” by Huey Lewis (a.k.a Hugh Anthony Cregg, III) & the News (Lawrenceville School, Cornell University)
7. “That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” by Carly Simon (Riverdale Country School, Sarah Lawrence College)
8. “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa” by Vampire Weekend (Columbia University)