“Little Victories” Contest
These terms and conditions (“Official Rules”) govern the “Little Victories” (the “Book”) by “Jason Gay” (the “Author”) Contest which is sponsored by The Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC (“Sponsor”). All determinations and decisions of Sponsor in connection with the Contest and these Official Rules shall be final and binding for all purposes, and Sponsor has sole and exclusive discretion and judgment in all matters regarding the administration, operation and conduct of the Contest. Contest is and shall hereafter be subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. Immediately upon entry, all entries become the property of Sponsor and will neither be acknowledged nor returned other than as herein described.
1. Eligibility. Contest is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, who are able and prepared to document that they are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry. The Contest is not open to officers, directors, employees, or agents of Sponsor, or its respective parents, subsidiaries, and/or affiliated companies, licensees, successors, advertising and promotional agencies, or printing agents, or any of the immediate family members (including, without limitation, spouse, parent(s), child(ren), sibling(s)) of such individuals, and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or those living in the same households, whether or not related, of such individuals. By submitting an entry and/or participating in this Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest.
The winners and each entrant must comply with all laws, regulations and requirements that apply to him or her and to their participation, entry or selection as a winner. Any and all costs, expenses, liabilities and obligations incurred by entrants and/or the Winner in the making or submission of the Entry (as defined in Section 4 below) are the sole responsibility of that person and not Sponsor.
In the event of any dispute regarding the identity of a person submitting an Entry, the Entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the e-mail account from which the entry was submitted, which is defined for these Official Rules as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
2. Entry Period. The period during which an Eligible Entry (defined in Section 4) may be submitted shall commence at 12:01 AM (Eastern Time), on November 2, 2015 and end at 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on November 30, 2015 (the “Entry Period”). Entries received prior to or after the Entry Period shall be considered void. Proof that you uploaded, or otherwise submitted an entry does not constitute proof or evidence that all or any portion of your entry was actually received by Sponsor within the Entry Period.
3. To Enter. During the Entry Period, you must submit your Entry in accordance with these Official Rules. Entries must be submitted online at www.Jason-Gay.com/enter-to-win.com. At the time of submission, you agree to the terms and conditions that apply to the Contest. Your Entry must comply with all requirements set forth in Section 4 below.
If you enter, attempt to enter and/or participate in this Contest you agree to execute and deliver to Sponsor all forms and documents, releases and agreements as specifically described and required hereunder, as well as any additional documents reasonably requested by Sponsor, including, without limitation, those necessary to prove unrestricted ownership in all entry materials and correspondingly your right to provide these entry materials to Sponsor as described and Sponsor’s right to use such entry materials without limitation for any and all purposes, as its own and as contemplated and described hereunder. If chosen as winner, you further agree to unconditionally and irrevocably assign all right, title and interest in all entry materials and agree to execute and deliver to Sponsor such documentation as is requested by Sponsor and reasonably necessary to enable Sponsor to record, document, perfect and enforce such rights, title and interests, as permitted by law.
4. Eligible Entry. An “Eligible Entry” means an entry submitted by an eligible person (See Section 1) that includes the entrant’s name, age, mailing address, email address and telephone number together with an Entry, as described below. Any entry submitted by someone who is not eligible or that is incomplete, inaccurate, illegible, not viewable, not submitted during the Entry Period or in any way not in conformity or in compliance with all of the terms and conditions of these Official Rules is not an Eligible Entry and subject to disqualification by Sponsor. Limit one (1) entry per person per day during the Entry Period.
“Entry” means an original, English language only, caption of no more than thirty (30) words for the image. The term “original” in these Official Rules means the Entry was newly created by you, and is not copied, derived, translated, adapted or otherwise obtained or copied from anyone or anywhere else, regardless of the source, format or medium. Original also means that you, and no one else, have complete, sole, exclusive and unrestricted right, title and interest in and to the Entry when you submit it to the Contest as part of your Entry AND that you have the right and authority to give Sponsor all of the rights in and to your Entry and all its elements that are described in these Official Rules and contemplated herein. If you cannot legally and properly represent to Sponsor that your Entry is original, do not enter it into the Contest. You must submit the Entry portion of your entry to Sponsor by uploading it through, and adhering to the requirements described herein.
5. Winner Selection: On or about December 1, 2015, Sponsor’s Marketing Department will choose the best Entry from all Entries submitted. Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, originality and humor.
6. Winner Notification: The potential Winner will be selected and notified on or around November 1, 2015 via the e-mail address provided with their entry. The potential Winners must contact Sponsor within forty-eight (48) hours after notification has been sent by Sponsor.
7. Prize: The Winner will receive one (1) signed copy of LITTLE VICTORIES by Jason Gay (ISBN: 9780385539463) and one (1) FitBit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband in black. The Prize is non-transferable. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Prize with another prize of comparable or greater value, at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. The total approximate retail value of the Prize is One Hundred and Twenty-Four Dollars and Ninety Cents ($124.90).
By participating, the Winner agrees that Sponsor and its parent company, assigns, subsidiaries or affiliates will have no liability whatsoever, and will be held harmless by Winner for any liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind to person, including death, and property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse, or use of the prize, or participation in this Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error; omission; interruption; deletion; defect; delay in operation or transmission; communications-line failure; or the theft destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines; computer online systems, servers, or providers; computer equipment or software; or failure of e-mail or entry on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to the participant’s or to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials from this Web site or Contest. By entering the Contest, participants are consenting to the use of their name and submissions for publicity and promotional purposes on behalf of Sponsor with no additional compensation or further permission (except where prohibited by law).
Sponsor may disqualify any Entry and Entrant and select another potential Winner from among the remaining Eligible Entries if (a) Sponsor is unable to contact the potential Winner or receives no response from potential Winner within forty-eight (48) hours after notification was sent to potential Winner or (b) if any potential Winner is unable, unwilling or does not, for any reason, return all of the required documents, unaltered and fully executed, within forty-eight (48) hours of their transmittal to the potential Winner or otherwise fails to comply with these Official Rules.
Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to obligate Sponsor to exhibit or exploit all or any portion of any Entry at all or for any period of time, or if commenced, to continue the exhibition or exploitation of the Entry. Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, shall determine period of time and the manner in which the Entry will be exhibited.
8. Ownership Rights; Rights to Use Entries. All entrants agree that: (i) Sponsor and/or Related Parties may use any and all ideas, concepts, material and expression, in whole or in part, submitted or contained in an Entry or other material you submit; (ii) all Entries and Entry materials become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned; (iii) no Entry or other material submitted, nor any part thereof, infringes any trademark, copyright or other property right, violates anyone’s right of privacy or publicity, any law, regulation or agreement or obligation by which he or she may be bound; and (iv) entrants consent to Sponsor and/or Related Parties displaying, making available for access, display, using and exhibiting the Entry, in whole or in part, throughout the universe, in perpetuity, in all media and means, now known or hereafter developed or discovered, for commercial purposes or any other purpose whatsoever.
If you enter, attempt to enter, participate and/or are selected as a Winner, you agree that your Entry may be used by Sponsor and/or Related Parties, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever without notice, consideration or compensation of any kind and even if there are any rights you may claim or arguably retain anywhere in the world (and without negating or limiting any of the provisions of these Official Rules), you grant Sponsor and Related Parties all non-exclusive, irrevocable, unconditional and unrestricted right, title and interest to exhibit, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, adapt, reformat, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, broadcast, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, create derivative works of, distribute and synchronize in timed relation to visual elements, all and/or any portions of your Entry (including, without limitation, your Entry), in any manner, an unlimited number of times, in any and all media, now known or hereafter developed or devised, throughout the universe, in perpetuity.
9. Representations / Warranties. You represent, warrant, covenant and agree that: (i) you have full right and authority to enter this Contest; (ii) no rights of any kind or nature are being retained or reserved by you or any third party in connection with your Entry or each and all of the elements thereof or the Contest; (iii) neither your Entry nor the use of your submitted Entry by Sponsor or the exercise by Sponsor of any of the rights granted by you under these Official Rules, in whole or in part, including without limitation its contents and all visual elements and all names, likenesses, biographies, trademarks, trade names, or logos used in or as part of the Entry, shall interfere with or infringe under common or statutory law the rights of any third party, including, without limitation contract rights, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, rights of publicity and privacy, or otherwise violate the rights of any third party.
11. General. The laws of the State of New York shall govern the interpretation and enforcement of these Official Rules and this Contest. The courts of the State of New York and the Federal court located in New York County, shall have sole and exclusive jurisdiction of any controversies regarding these Official Rules and this Contest and entrants submit to the exclusive and personal jurisdiction of such courts and waive any and all objections to jurisdiction and venue in these courts, including any objection that the forum is inconvenient.
12. Winner Names. To get the names of the Contest Winners, available after December 1, 2015, send a written request, together with a self-addressed, stamped envelope by December 1, 2016 to:
The Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
New York, New York 10019
Attn: Lauren Weber
Re: Gay CONTEST
13. Sponsorship. The Contest is sponsored by The Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC, 1745 Broadway, New York, New York 10019.