What’s Keeping Karen Russell Up at Night?
Do you find yourself struggling to get to sleep these days? Us too. Would it help to know that you’re not alone? Sleep Donation, a haunting novella about an insomnia epidemic that sweeps the nation, might be just the read for you. To celebrate the publication of this timely story, author Karen Russell shared a list of the things that could be keeping you from the land of Nod—plus one great tip for a better night of sleep . . . if you’ve got a time machine.
Things That Can Interfere with a Good Night’s Sleep
- Caring about anyone or anything
- Itchy sheets
- Inconsiderate ghosts
- Unopened bills
- The “Venti” option
- Rumination about insignificant mistake
- Blue light
- Cabbage sandwich
- True crime documentaries
- Satan’s piano lesson (or is it just the train again?)
- Urban coyote howling outside
- Or is that a man??
- Rumination about existential threats to democracy, planet
- Mirrors at night
- Apparitions in mirrors
- Apprehension of apparitions in mirrors
- Memory of leftover cake in fridge
- Feet of toddler in one’s face
- Another adult sleeping peacefully beside you
Tips for Getting a Better Night’s Sleep
- Build a time machine with reclining seats and travel to a different year